14 January 2010

How We Can Help

I don't watch the news. I admit it. The reason I generally don't watch the news is because when ever I do there is always a story about something terrible happening in the world. I know. Ignoring it, won't make it go away. Hearing about what is happening in Haiti makes me sick to my stomach. Here is a country that was already struggling. According to Wikipedia (and yes I looked it up), it is the poorest country in the Americas and eighty percent of the population was living in poverty. Most Haitians live on $2 a day or less. This earthquake has completely devastated the country with the Red Cross estimating at least 3 million people were affected by it.

So. Here's what we can do. One of my favorite bloggers to stalk read is encouraging everyone to leave a comment on her post for the day and she will donate $1 for every comment. She even wants her readers with blogs to send people over. So that's what I'm doing. Go and comment on her post here. She has links to other people who are doing the same. And although my readership is small and I'm sure the husband will kill me for doing this without asking first, if I can get at least ten comments, we will donate $10. That is unfortunately the most I can do right now.

For more ways to help, see this article on CNN. Or you can write your own post. Link to me. Link to her. Let's see what we can do!

EDIT: Didn't reach ten comments by midnight. Sad panda. But since I'm not heartless, I've already donated my ten dollars to the Red Cross.

5 comments:

Desiree Troy said...

Don't kill her, please! I like her too much and Lorelei needs a mom. (Do all the comments have to be from different people?)

Kirsten said...

Ideally yes. Although any time I reply, I will count that as one.

Nenette Alejandria Mayor said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Thank you also for wanting to participate. You have a kind heart. :)

Unknown said...

I'm laying in bed reading about India!!! Do all the comments have to be made in one day? I hope not... I'm too tired to keep this up. Oh! And I have good news about my dentist but I'll save that for Saturday.

Brian said...

I'll make this comment because I love you and I'm so very, very proud of you.