31 August 2009

August Wrap-Up

It has been an interesting month. Bookended by visits to the hospital/emergency room and in the middle lots of working and not sleeping and feeling like poop. Yup.

Now, I am unemployed. And in all honesty, I don't think I'm going to go back to [redacted] after little one is born. There was too much drama and guilt tripping going on. I'm sorry that I'm pregnant and some days I'm not functional and that means you have to change your plans or miss your day off but it is your restaurant and it is not my fault that I was the only employee you had left and you hadn't even thought about hiring anyone else. Did you think I was going to just pop the baby out and come back to work the next day? And sorry I fell down my front stars and effed up my foot (for a full account of the incident, see the husband's blog) and you had to close early one night because you had tickets to the theatre. Shit happens. And trust me, it sucked way more for me than it did for you. /end rant

I suppose it hasn't been all bad. Little one seems to be growing normally despite only having two vessels in the umbilical cord (apparently, this is pretty common, who knew?) and I don't have gestational diabetes. Whoo. I upped my dosage hopefully for the last time and, at least for the last few days, have been feeling much better.

Brian and I have been cooking a bit more in the last couple weeks. The tomato soup was not a great success, but if you dipped grilled cheese in it, it was much better. We made jambalaya courtesy of a mix from the Soulard spice shop and some delicious Andouille from the Soulard meat market. Also there is a pound of ground lamb in the freezer just waiting to be made into a fake gyro. We made some delicious chili as well. Unfortunately, Brian left it sitting out overnight and I could not have seconds. Brian, of course, decided it was fine and has been eating the leftovers all week. No signs of sickness yet. Finally, and then I promise I'll be done talking about food, we made cheese ravioli last night with a spinach-artichoke sauce. Sinfully delicious. Plus the recipe made way too much sauce for the pasta, so the leftovers are going to be used as dip for our tortilla chips.

Yesterday, we went to the baseball game cause, you know, free Adam Wainwright bobbleheads. Had to trade in our tickets for handicap seats, but they turned out to be amazing! Right on the first base foul line (or whatever you call it, I don't know all the lingo) and on the first level. Pretty freaking sweet. Oh, and we won!

That's about it. Now, I'm limping around the house doing housework in ten minute bursts because that's about all the time my ankle can be stood on without pain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your foot is not as damaged as previously thought. I was very relieved to read about that. I'm also glad that you're able to rest and relax more now. You definitely deserve it.

And, you can write about food as much as you'd like. I like reading about people cooking since I'm not really able to do much with what I have... this pathetic attempt at a kitchen.

And, I'd like to apologise for adding to the drama. It wasn't intentional. Originally, I was trying to warn you but I think I just made everything worse. I'm very relieved that you don't have to deal with that anymore though and I promise not to bring 2Schae up when we're able to hang out.

Which reminds me... I don't know if you're able to drive or if, when you're able, if you'd like to hang out with Meredith and me on Fridays after her knitting group ends. We usually have coffee and/or lunch at 6 North Coffee Company and sometimes do other things like shop and whatnot. I'm certain that she'd love if you'd like to come sometime and I know I would like to see you when you're feeling up for it.

Brian said...

Pole. Foul POLE.