07 August 2009

Rough Week

Warning: I whine about my pregnancy. If you don't feel like getting a few gory details about this oh so joyous time, you might want to skip this post.

It has been a less than stellar week for me. Started out with a massive anxiety attack on Sunday relating to the final paper for my class. In retrospect, I probably should have started on it earlier than the day before it was due, but I usually work pretty well on a deadline. Apparently, that was not the case this time. Managed to get the bosses to switch their day off with me so I could have Monday to work on it and then relax a little bit. It all worked out okay: paper was sent off and I got an A in the class.

Wednesday I had to work ten hours to make up for the day I missed on Monday. It would have been okay except that I haven't been getting much sleep and my back and muscles have been ridiculously sore. I would be sitting down during a slow time and then have to get up and it felt like my legs were going to give out. There was such a horrible pain in my lower back. And then on Thursday I was almost completely immobile on the couch all morning. I got up to use the restroom and it was so painful to move and I had cramps that were so bad I had to call Brian and have him come home. The original plan was just for him to come bring me some lunch, help me take a shower and get dressed before I had to go to work.

It was a disaster. I think poor husband spent half an hour trying to figure out what I wanted to eat and, when I finally agreed to something, he had just gotten into the car when I called him and told him to come back inside. I didn't want to get up, I didn't want to eat anything. It was just really, really bad. Brian managed to get me into the bathroom and gave me a sponge bath (too much information for you, dear readers?) because I wasn't up to standing for more than a few minutes at a time. Managed to get dressed and went to Benton Park coffee house and I was telling Brian about my cramps and abdominal pain and coupled with the fact that I had barely felt baby move the day before, he freaked out, called the doctor and they wanted me to go to pregnancy assessment.

So.

We went to the sketchy part of Barnes. And by sketchy, I mean the older building which has really ugly wallpaper and decorations. Fortunately, the wait for a room wasn't terribly long. Unfortunately, once I had a room and a nurse had come in and hooked me up to all these monitors, I immediately had to pee. I figured I could wait, which I did for awhile until just as the doctor was getting there I finally said "Screw it, I have to go." So they unhooked the cables and I had to carry them and walk across the hall in my oh so attractive hospital gown. Did I mention that it was really cold in there? Anywho. So got examined. Heartbeat looked good and the little contraction monitor or whatever wasn't picking anything up. So doctor checked my cervix (BTW, that is super fun. Except not) and she said it was nice and closed and really far back so whatever my cramps were, they were probably just mild contractions and there was nothing to worry about. Three hours in the hospital to find out nothing was wrong. I guess that's better than finding out something was really really wrong. I'm supposed to take it easy for the next few days, drink plenty of fluids and keep my feet up. That I can do.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Love you!

Anonymous said...

*sends you a billion and a half hugs* The next time I see you, I'm going to give you a real, in person hug and that'll hopefully provide some sort of comfort. <3

Lydia Agnew Speller said...

No need for the warning. To anyone who has been pregnant, other people's pregnancies are endlessly fascinating. or at least to me.

I hope that is the end of the story and you are feeling back to normal...