11 February 2010

Lorelei's Schedule

I have determined - although I could be wrong because I don't really know what I'm talking about - that if Lorelei does not adhere to a pretty strict schedule, she becomes a horrible cranky demon child. I shouldn't complain too much since she is generally well-behaved in public - even during church! - and sleeps for most of the night no problem. But if her day does not go exactly as planned, she loses her shit and will not calm down. This has caused me to have a few minor break downs over the last few days. In order to keep her happy, this is what our day looks like:

7:30-8 am: Wake up. Change disgustingly soaked through diaper. (We use cloth diapers, so we have to use two overnight and they are both soaked in the morning). Change clothes and feed.
8-8:30 am: Play time. Either on the gym or with me or both depending on her mood. This is usually when I start doing chores since she is pretty self-sufficient while playing.
8:30-9:30 am: Change diaper (again). Either sit quietly in her swing while I shower or use the computer. Poop. Get cranky so I have to hold her.
9:30-10:15 am: Second breakfast and brief morning nap.
10:15 am - 12ish pm: Cuddle with mommy. Or lay on the boppy while I do laundry. Eat. Afternoon nap time around 12 or 12:30.
3 pm: Wake up from nap. Change and feed. This is the best time to do errands since it doesn't interfere with her usual nap time.
5 pm: Evening nap.
8-8:30 pm: Cranky pants. Time to get ready for bed. Although she usually won't go to sleep until after 9.
4-4:30 am: Time for late night feeding and then back to bed

It's not all terrible. Like I said, when she is in a good mood and we stick to the schedule, I get things done and she's not too cranky, but I sometimes worry that I am raising a baby who is going to be very spoiled and picky as she gets older. Hrm.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Sounds like a great schedule! I was slow about putting Henry on a schedule and once I did, he calmed right down. "They" say that schedules actually help kids grow up to be more confident and flexible because they're more likely to adapt to small changes when they know what the usual routine is. Kids without schedules are too stressed out to deal with anything. So I've been told. I know my kids have to do everything in the same order every day or they become little monsters too. Sounds like Lorelei has a good Mommy (and Daddy) :)

Brian said...

No, she has a terrible father. Just so you know.